History - Knipton Bowls Club

Go to content

Main menu:



The club was formed in the mid nineteen fifties by the villagers of Knipton, in the Vale of Belvoir.
The first green was on the front lawn of Knipton Lodge, and only had three links. The present green   in Finns Lane was laid in 1957,on land rented from the Duke of Rutland. The old wooden pavilion was built by members, and is now used for storage and changing and in 1992 the club acquired the old telephone exchange building which is used for social events , meetings and teas.
Knipton Bowls Club were founder members of the Vale of Belvoir League, formed in 1970.Knipton won the league in it’s first year, but never since!!Despite very little league success, the Club is very friendly and has produced some fine players, who have played at District and County level.
One of the ‘in house’ cups is the Harmony Cup .During the first few years it was played, the players had to be married, but this rule was later relaxed.
Club member and long time greensman, David Carlton even celebrated his fortieth birthday on the green!!!

Back to content | Back to main menu